Re: lock on object is already held - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: lock on object is already held
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> Daniel Wood <dwood@salesforce.com> writes:
>> Does the original version of my stress test not repro the problem on 9.2?

> [ tries it ... ]  No, it doesn't, or at least the MTBF is a couple orders
> of magnitude better than on 9.3.

Oh, of course: the reason the test doesn't fail as given on 9.2 is that
9.2 doesn't have a lock_timeout parameter.  (I missed the complaints about
this in the blizzard of other noise the test generates :-(.)  The timeout
is critical to exposing the bug because it needs failed lock acquisitions.
Probably unpatched 9.2 would fall over if you used statement_timeout
instead.