Trying to GRANT privileges on a newly-created database - Mailing list pgsql-testers

From Lou Picciano
Subject Trying to GRANT privileges on a newly-created database
Date
List pgsql-testers

[TEST REPORT]

[Release]: 8.5alpha2

[Test Type]: psql CLI

[Test]: Trying to GRANT privileges on a newly-created database

[Platform]: Solaris SPARC 4u (E450)

[Parameters]: Trying to GRANT privileges on a newly-created database.  db name in lower case.

[Failure]: yes

[Results]:

# CREATE DATABASE dbname;

# GRANT ALL ON dbname TO role;

ERROR:  relation "dbname" does not exist

Please note this database is created in lower case; it has not been renamed from upper.

# GRANT ALL ON dbname TO role;  - produces the same error.

[Comments]:  We've seen that users have this problem with mixed-case object names, and must use quotes.  Our example names have always been in lowercase - have not bee rename, and we've tried commands both without tnd with quotes!  Have we somehow corrupted this cluster?  Am seeing other strange behavior related to simple commands.