Re: Information about columns - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John DeSoi
Subject Re: Information about columns
Date
List pgsql-general
On Jun 22, 2009, at 11:43 AM, Dario Teixeira wrote:

>> How are you talking to the database ? ODBC? JDBC? LibPQ? Something
>> else?
>> Or do you want this from within PL/PgSQL ?
>
> I'm hacking on a client-side library which talks directly to the
> Postmaster
> using the wire protocol [1]. I need this information to improve some
> of the
> nullability-detection heuristics used by the library.

The information you want is always returned from the query as a row
description message. This includes the type oid of real and computed
columns.

See the RowDescription message on this page for details:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/protocol-message-formats.html

John DeSoi, Ph.D.