Re: pgsql: Comments in IndexBuildHeapScan describe - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Comments in IndexBuildHeapScan describe
Date
List pgsql-committers
>> Comments in IndexBuildHeapScan describe the indexing of recently-dead
>> tuples as needed "to keep VACUUM from complaining", but actually there is
>> a more compelling reason to do it: failure to do so violates MVCC semantics.

> I notice the same error occurs in REL8_0_STABLE, REL7_4_STABLE and
> REL7_3_STABLE. This is a data loss bug, so why not back apply to those
> releases also?

I'm not sure it really qualifies as "data loss", since the answers would
be only transiently wrong.  I chose not to back-patch further than 8.1
for a couple of reasons:

* It's a corner case, and given the lack of complaints, the risk of
  breaking something in the back branches has to be factored into the
  decision.  I believe that the testing I did in HEAD validates the
  patch well enough against 8.1, but the further back you go the less
  well the correlation applies.

* The same problem exists with respect to CLUSTER, not to mention the
  table-rewriting variants of ALTER TABLE.  Any patch for CLUSTER will
  be far more invasive and is unlikely to get back-patched at all.

            regards, tom lane