Re: pg_upgrade permission check - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_upgrade permission check
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> "full access permissions" seems unhelpfully vague.  Why not say
>> "you must have both read and write access to the current directory"?

> OK, I can do that, but they need execute permission in that directory
> too to look up file names in there.  Should I say execute too?

I doubt it's worth worrying about.  man chdir saith
    In order for a directory to become the current directory, a process must    have execute (search) access to the
directory.

I'm not entirely certain what happens if you chdir into a directory and
then someone revokes the bit afterwards, but I do not feel a need to
complicate the error message to cover such a case.