Re: Big performance slowdown from 11.2 to 13.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Big performance slowdown from 11.2 to 13.3
Date
RE: Big performance slowdown from 11.2 to 13.3  ("ldh@laurent-hasson.com" <ldh@laurent-hasson.com>)
List pgsql-performance
"ldh@laurent-hasson.com" <ldh@laurent-hasson.com> writes:
> As a user of PG, we have taken pride in the last few years in tuning the heck out of the system and getting great
performancecompared to alternatives like SQLServer. The customers we work with typically have data centers and are
overwhelminglyWindows shops: we won the battle to deploy a complex operational system on PG vs SQLServer, but Linux vs
Windowswas still a bridge too far for many. I am surprised that this limitation introduced after V11 hasn't caused
issueselsewhere though.

Maybe it has, but you're the first to report the problem, or at least
the first to report it with enough detail to trace the cause.

I've pushed a fix that removes the artificial restriction on work_mem
times hash_mem_multiplier; it will be in next month's 13.4 release.
You'll still need to increase hash_mem_multiplier to get satisfactory
performance on your workload, but at least it'll be possible to do that.

            regards, tom lane