Re: Split pg_dump dump into files and then combine it back - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Split pg_dump dump into files and then combine it back
Date
List pgsql-general
Dmitry Koterov <dmitry@koterov.ru> writes:
> Is there a tool (or a way) to parse a pg_dump'ed (structure only) dump file
> into smaller files (each function in its own file, its table in its own
> etc.) with ability to combine these files later into the proper dump file?

> The main problem is dependencies. Sometimes functions are defined before
> types, sometimes after. The same for cross-schema references. Dump parsing
> is simple, but this process drops dependencies between objects and could not
> be reversed easily.

I don't know of any existing tool.  However, pg_dump can be told to
print out its internal dependency information, so in principle you could
build one that looks at that info and reconstitutes the chunks in a safe
order.  I'm not sure I see the point though ...

            regards, tom lane