Re: Function execution costs 'n all that - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Function execution costs 'n all that
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> If we go this route it seems like we'll need four more columns in
>> pg_proc (cost estimation function OID, rowcount estimation function OID,
>> fallback cost constant, fallback rowcount constant).

> What would the fallbacks be for?

By "fallback" I meant "this is what to use if no estimation function is
provided".

I'm envisioning that the CREATE FUNCTION syntax would add optional
clauses
    COST function-name-or-numeric-constant    ROWS function-name-or-numeric-constant

that would be used to fill these columns.