Re: xPath in a database with LATIN1 encoding - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: xPath in a database with LATIN1 encoding
Date
List pgsql-admin
Jorge Silva <jorge.silva93@gmail.com> writes:
> The characters that it is not recognizing are both “ç” and “ã” because I think they are encoded differently in latin1
andutf-8. Is it possible to somehow use the xPath function with special characters in the XML and in a database which
isnot encoded with utf-8?

I don't have a lot of expertise in this area, but I think you need
an explicit encoding indicator in the xml header, a la

    <?xml encoding="latin1"?> ...

On the whole, the xml type is definitely easier to use with database
encoding set to utf8.  I think you'll be paying for encoding conversion
every time we interact with libxml, for instance.

            regards, tom lane