Re: oracle ambiguity, inline views - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: oracle ambiguity, inline views
Date
List pgsql-general
"Edmar Wiggers" <edmar@brasmap.com> writes:
> One other thing: will PostgreSQL support in-line views?
> Works like this:
> select a,b,c
> from table_a a, (select b2 from table_b2 join... where ...) b, table_c c
> where...

Yes, that's in there for 7.1.  I hadn't heard the phrase "in-line view"
before; I've been calling it "sub-SELECT in FROM".

> It's a feature only available in oracle8, I think.

It's in the SQL92 spec (and it looks like Oracle even used the
standard's syntax for it, praise be ;-)) so I would expect that a
fair number of DBMSs have support for it.

            regards, tom lane