Re: psql doesn't show tables duplicated in multiple schemas - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql doesn't show tables duplicated in multiple schemas
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> writes:
> At Mon, 2 Aug 2021 22:28:33 -0700, "David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote in
>> I cannot see rewording this to avoid the use of "visible", but if this is a

> Year, I think "visible" is the best word there.  And I'm not sure
> people are actually confused about the word.

The term is actually defined in the psql ref page, in the second para
of the "Patterns" section:

  <para>
   Whenever the <replaceable class="parameter">pattern</replaceable> parameter
   is omitted completely, the <literal>\d</literal> commands display all objects
   that are visible in the current schema search path — this is
   equivalent to using <literal>*</literal> as the pattern.
   (An object is said to be <firstterm>visible</firstterm> if its
   containing schema is in the search path and no object of the same
   kind and name appears earlier in the search path. This is equivalent to the
   statement that the object can be referenced by name without explicit
   schema qualification.)
   To see all objects in the database regardless of visibility,
   use <literal>*.*</literal> as the pattern.
  </para>

Maybe this could be rearranged to make the concept more prominent,
but I'm not convinced that we need any really new text.  I definitely
don't want to make duplicative additions to each \d command's text.

            regards, tom lane