Fwd: Recreate C functions? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Elliot Chance
Subject Fwd: Recreate C functions?
Date
List pgsql-general
> Hello
>
> it's maybe offtopic - you use a deprecated API
>
> better to use V1 interface.

I'll keep that in mind - I'm just playing with the sourse code right now.

Restarting the whole server every time I make one tiny change is not a viable option. Surely theres a way to tell it to
refreshor reload while the server it running? I couldn't find anything in the docs about it though.

> Regards
>
> Pavel Stehule
>
> 2010/12/14 Elliot Chance <elliotchance@gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I seem to be having trouble recreating C functions, the source:
>>
>> === test.c ====
>> #include <postgres.h>
>> #include <fmgr.h>
>>
>> PG_MODULE_MAGIC;
>>
>> int32 plpgsql_test(text* s) {
>>   return 100;
>> }
>> === end ===
>>
>> Then compile:
>> $ cc -fpic -c -I/usr/include/pgsql/server test.c
>> $ ld -shared -o funcs.so test.o
>>
>> Then create the function:
>> CREATE FUNCTION plpgsql_test(text) RETURNS integer
>>    AS '/storage/Scripts/plpgsql/funcs', 'plpgsql_test'
>>    LANGUAGE C STRICT IMMUTABLE;
>>
>> So far it works:
>>> select plpgsql_test('abc');
>> 100
>>
>> The problem is if I change test.c like:
>> return 200;
>>
>> Then recompile, drop and create the function it still returns 100? However if I compile it as funcs2.so it will then
createthe function with the correct 200 result ... what am I doing wrong?