PG Logging is Slow

From: Theo Galanakis
Subject: PG Logging is Slow
Date: ,
Re: PG Logging is Slow  (Grega Bremec)
Re: PG Logging is Slow  (Michael Adler)
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

PG Logging is Slow  (Theo Galanakis, )
 Re: PG Logging is Slow  (Bruce Momjian, )
 Re: PG Logging is Slow  (Grega Bremec, )
 Re: PG Logging is Slow  (Michael Adler, )
 Re: PG Logging is Slow  (Theo Galanakis, )
  Re: PG Logging is Slow  (Alexander Borkowski, )
 Re: PG Logging is Slow  (Theo Galanakis, )

Under postgres 7.3 logging is incredibly slow!

I have applied the following settings:

syslog = 2
syslog_facility = 'LOCAL0'
syslog_ident = 'postgres'

 log_connections =  true
log_duration =  true
log_pid =  true
log_statement =  true
log_timestamp =  true

This severely impacted the performance of our production system, a search page which took 1-3 seconds now takes over 30, is this normal?

I need to get some performance indicators from our production db, however I cant turn on logging with such performance degradation.

Theo

This email, including attachments, is intended only for the addressee
and may be confidential, privileged and subject to copyright. If you
have received this email in error, please advise the sender and delete
it. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not
use, copy or disclose its content to anyone. You must not copy or
communicate to others content that is confidential or subject to
copyright, unless you have the consent of the content owner.