Re: COPY for CSV documentation - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: COPY for CSV documentation
Date
Re: COPY for CSV documentation  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
List pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian said:

>       COPY tablename [ ( column [, ...] ) ]
>           TO { 'filename' | STDOUT }
>           [ [ WITH ]
>                 [ BINARY ]
>                 [ OIDS ]
>                 [ DELIMITER [ AS ] 'delimiter' ]
>                 [ NULL [ AS ] 'null string' ] ]
>
>                 [ CSV [ QUOTE 'quote' ] [ ESCAPE 'escape' ] ]
>
> DELIMITER default to tab, except in CSV mode, where it is a comma.
>
> That sounds very clear to me.

TIMTOWTDI, as we say in the perl world, and we could debate it endlessly.
This looks fine to me.

a few points:

. ESCAPE should default to same-as-quote
. in CSV mode, NULL should default to '' - that was in what I sent in.
. I assume that for now we will enforce the one byte rule for QUOTE and
ESCAPE as well as for DELIMITER.

cheers

andrew