Re: [HACKERS] Anyone working on asynchronous NOTIFY reception? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Anyone working on asynchronous NOTIFY reception?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mattias Kregert <matti@algonet.se> writes:
> Async communication between backend and frontend would be really nice.
> I use Tcl a lot and I really miss this. It would be wonderful to have
> libpgtcl do callbacks, so that info on-screen could be automagically
> updated whenever something changes.

Yes, if anything were to be done along this line it'd also make sense
to revise libpgtcl.  I think it ought to work more like this:
  (a) the idle loop is invoked while waiting for a query response
      (so that a pg_exec statement behaves sort of like "tkwait");
  (b) a "listen" command is sent via a new pg_listen statement that
      specifies a callback command string.  Subsequent notify responses
      can occur whenever a callback is possible.
I suppose (a) had better be an option to pg_exec statements so that
we don't break existing Tcl code...