Re: UUID v7 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: UUID v7
Date
List pgsql-hackers
So I am in the process of reviewing the patch and hopefully can provide something there soon.

However I want to address in the mean time the question of timestamp functions.  I know that is outside the scope of
thispatch but I would be in favor of adding them generally, not just as an extension but eventually into core.  I
understand(and generally agree with) the logic of not generally extracting timestamps from UUIDs or other such field,s
butthere are cases where it is really, really helpful to be able to do.  In particular when you are troubleshooting
misbehavior,all information you can get is helpful.  And so extracting all of the subfields can be helpful.

The problem with putting this in an extension is that this is mostly useful when debugging systems (particularly larger
distributedsystems) and so the chances of it hitting a critical mass enough to be supported by all major cloud vendors
iseffectively zero.

So I am not asking for this to be included in this patch but I am saying I would love to see these sort of things
contributedat some point to core.