Re: SE-PostgreSQL and row level security - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SE-PostgreSQL and row level security
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> We have seen no evidence that anyone has a worked-out
>> set of design rules that make a SE-Postgres database secure against
>> these issues, so the whole thing is pie in the sky.
> I've seen several mentions of the rule "Don't use a column containing
> data you want to secure as part of the primary key." mentioned several
> times in these threads.  I think that just might be the complete set.
> Can anyone show that it's not?

You've still got the burden of proof backwards... but just as a
counterexample to that phrasing, I'll note that FKs can be set up
against columns other than a primary key.  If the attacker has
insert/update privilege then *any* unique constraint represents
a possible covert channel.