Re: Datatyp of a column - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Datatyp of a column
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ishaya Bhatt <ishayabhatt@gmail.com> writes:
>      In the sorting code, I need to determine the datatype of my sort keys
> and call some code conditionally based on the datatype. Is there any way to
> determine the datatype of a column from the *backend* PostGreSQL code. is
> the datatype of the column available in the query plan? Any help on this
> would be very much appreciated.

You really need to be more specific about where you need this information.
The "sorting code" certainly knows what datatypes it's working with ---
for example, in tuplesort.c there's a TupleDesc for the tuples passing
through the sort, and the column types are available from the per-column
atttypid fields of that.  But it's not clear if that's what you're talking
about.