Re: Materialized views WIP patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Materialized views WIP patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Kevin Grittner" <kgrittn@mail.com> writes:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> What use would a temporary matview be?

> It would be essentially like a temporary table, with all the same
> persistence options. I'm not really sure how often it will be more
> useful than a temporary table before we have incremental maintenance
> of materialized views; once we have that, though, it seems likely
> that there could be reasonable use cases.

One of the principal attributes of a temp table is that its contents
aren't (reliably) accessible from anywhere except the owning backend.
Not sure where you're going to hide the incremental maintenance in
that scenario.

> The table inheritance has not been implemented in either direction
> for MVs. It didn't seem clear to me that there were reasonable use
> cases. Do you see any?

We don't have inheritance for views, so how would we have it for
materialized views?