Re: Example error in createdb doc - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Example error in createdb doc
Date
List pgsql-docs
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 09:01:59PM -0400, Jason O'Donnell wrote:
>> The example given for createdb fails because template0 is not provided:

> I have looked over this report and patch, and it just doesn't feel
> right.  The example is intending to show how to use common psql-like
> options to control createdb.  Adding the encoding is nice, but then
> having to switch to template0 so the encoding setting works just seems
> beyond the scope of what we want do there.

> I think the attached patch is more focused.

I dunno.  The use of -e seems pretty pointless for a call that is going to
yield a trivial CREATE DATABASE command.  Besides, we already showed a
minimal example.  If you think Jason's example is too complex, what about
just subbing in "-T template0" for "-E LATIN1"?  That should work
regardless of other configuration.

Also, your change to the text loses the point that -e provokes printing
the underlying command.  Admittedly, that was somewhat indirect in the way
it was phrased before, but now the concept is just gone entirely; that
doesn't feel like an improvement either.

Personally I thought Jason's patch was fine as-is.

            regards, tom lane