Re: BUG #5840: Updating arrays using subscripted assignment results in uninitialized values - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #5840: Updating arrays using subscripted assignment results in uninitialized values
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Karsten Loesing" <karsten.loesing@gmx.net> writes:
> Modifying an array as described in
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/arrays.html#ARRAYS-MODIFYING
> sometimes leads to uninitialized values.  See the following example:

> CREATE TABLE test_array (my_array BIGINT[]);
> INSERT INTO test_array (my_array) VALUES ('[40:41]={40,41}');
> UPDATE test_array SET my_array[1:2]='{1,2}';
> SELECT * FROM test_array;

They're not actually "uninitialized"; the correct values are inserted,
but then overwritten with garbage.  This seems to have been broken since
8.2 :-(.  Fix committed:
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=f43c4d9ec4d46e4d664af4c1a2a6345921a353fb

Thanks for the report!

            regards, tom lane