Re: BUG #4935: Weird input syntax for intervals, part 2 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #4935: Weird input syntax for intervals, part 2
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Frank Spies" <frank.spies@biotronik.com> writes:
> After finding out that bug #4918 was already fixed in 8.4 release, I played
> around with the interval input syntax in 8.4 and found that
> '2.5' year
> is not the same as
> '2.5 year'
> in release 8.4:

I don't think this is a bug.  The former case specifies (per SQL
standard) that you are only wanting storage to year accuracy.
The latter is a historical Postgres syntax that does not involve
constraining the precision of the stored value.

            regards, tom lane