Re: pg_dump and large files - is this a problem? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump and large files - is this a problem?
Date
Re: pg_dump and large files - is this a problem?  (Philip Warner <pjw@rhyme.com.au>)
List pgsql-hackers
Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au> writes:
> When talking of near-current systems with 64 bit off_t you are not
> going to find one without support for 64 bit integral types.

I tend to agree with Giles on this point.  A non-integral representation
of off_t is theoretically possible but I don't believe it exists in
practice.  Before going far out of our way to allow it, we should first
require some evidence that it's needed on a supported or
likely-to-be-supported platform.

time_t isn't guaranteed to be an integral type either if you read the
oldest docs about it ... but no one believes that in practice ...