Re: Draft release notes complete - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Draft release notes complete
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> The only reason there is a significant delay is that the administrators
> have chosen not to run the process more than once every 4 hours. That's
> a choice not dictated by the process they are using, but by other
> considerations concerning the machine it's being run on. Since I am not
> one of the admins and don't really want to take responsibility for it I
> am not going to second guess them. On the very rare occasions when I
> absolutely have to have the totally up to date docs I build them myself
> - it takes about 60 seconds on my modest hardware.

I think the argument for having a quick docs build service is not about
the time needed, but the need to have all the appropriate tools
installed.  While I can understand that argument for J Random Hacker,
I'm mystified why Bruce doesn't seem to have bothered to get a working
SGML toolset installed.  It's not like editing the docs is a one-shot
task for him.