Re: 'query was cancelled' - depending on search pattern - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 'query was cancelled' - depending on search pattern
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Bernd von den Brincken <bvdb@asa.de> writes:
> My client is psql via telnet on a Toshiba T550 laptop, my version():
>    PostgreSQL 7.3.2 on i386-portbld-freebsd4.7, compiled by GCC 2.95.4
> Now I tested it on a different machine (P-3 Server) with (almost) the same
> DB contents - it works fine there ! - The version() says:
>    PostgreSQL 7.3 on i386-unknown-freebsd4.5, compiled by GCC 2.95.3

> So may the problem be in the pattern matching code that may differ
>   between freebsd versions?

It's still awfully hard to see how pattern-matching code would cause a
SIGINT signal --- which AFAICS is the only way to get to 'Query was
cancelled'.

We have seen some rather weird reports of trouble on recent freebsd
releases, though.  (Right at the moment I'm comparing your report to
Doug Silver's recent post on pgsql-novice --- he's seeing bizarre
behavior of timestamps on one freebsd machine and not on another very
similar machine.)  I have a suspicion there's something broken about
the compiler or libc, but can't prove anything yet.

Can you trace through it with a debugger and try to see what's
happening?  A stack trace from the elog() call would be good for starters.

            regards, tom lane