Re: BUG #5066: plperl issues with perl_destruct() and END blocks - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #5066: plperl issues with perl_destruct() and END blocks
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> "Tim Bunce" <Tim.Bunce@pobox.com> writes:
>>> The plperl implementation doesn't call perl_destruct() during server
>>> shutdown.
>>
>> Who cares?  The process is going away anyway.

> END {} blocks can execute arbitrary code.  Perl users will expect them
> to be executed.

[ shrug... ]  As a database geek I find the lack of guarantees about
that to be entirely unsatisfying.  What exactly are you going to put
in that block?  If it's actually important, are you going to trust
a mechanism that doesn't have any crash safeness?

            regards, tom lane