Re: [patch] fix dblink security hole - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [patch] fix dblink security hole
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> Tommy Gildseth wrote:
>> I'm not quite sure I fully understand the consequence of this change.
>> Does it basically mean that it's not possible to use .pgpass with dblink
>> for authentication?

> It only applies to 8.4 (which is not yet released) and beyond.
> dblink will still work as before for superusers.

The visible, documented behavior actually is not any different from what
it's been in recent PG releases.  This change only plugs a possible
security issue that we weren't aware of before, ie, that dblink might
send a password to a server before failing the connect attempt.  It will
fail the connect attempt either way, though, so no functionality
changes.