Re: posgres-7.1.3 hpux-11.00 posmaster died - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: posgres-7.1.3 hpux-11.00 posmaster died
Date
List pgsql-general
bk226157@skynet.be (pierre) writes:
> This morning I saw my database had no new record added since
> yesterday.

> I tried first to connect to my db but I got the following answer:

>> psql tkgdb1240
> psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory
>         Is the postmaster running locally
>         and accepting connections on Unix socket '/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432'?

> I displayed the process:

>> ps -ef | grep post
> postgres  6089     1  0  Dec 27  pts/ta    0:47
> /opt/postgres/bin/postmaster -i -D /db1240/data

Looks to me like your postmaster is fine.  Probably what is not fine
is the socket file /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.  Do you have some cron job that
cleans out /tmp periodically?  If so, you might need to teach it not
to remove socket files.

            regards, tom lane