Re: converting microsoft sql server 2000 sql-code for postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: converting microsoft sql server 2000 sql-code for postgresql
Date
List pgsql-sql
Guy Fraser <guy@incentre.net> writes:
> If you go through the documentation you can also find out how to CREATE your
> own data TYPE to allow more direct use of non-PostgreSQL data types. Here is
> an example that will allow input of any "datetime" data into PostgreSQL :

> CREATE TYPE datetime AS (datetime timestamptz);

I think what you probably really want is
 CREATE DOMAIN datetime AS timestamptz;

or more SQL-spec-compliantly
 CREATE DOMAIN datetime AS timestamp with time zone;

which essentially makes datetime a direct alias for timestamptz.  The
CREATE TYPE approach makes a rowtype containing one timestamptz column,
which isn't really going to act the way you want --- for one thing,
none of the predefined functions and operators for type timestamptz
will accept it.  With the DOMAIN approach, they will.
        regards, tom lane