Re: BUG #18362: unaccent rules and Old Greek text - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #18362: unaccent rules and Old Greek text
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 12:15:57PM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> That has a normal looking sequence that we can understand (α + an
>> accent).  If I tell the script to follow such "simple" redirections, I
>> get over a thousand new mappings, including those.  See attached.
>> There is probably more correct terminology that I'm using here...

> Ah, you've beaten me to it.  Yes, that's pretty much the impression I
> was getting while looking at the set of characters in Unicode.txt.  I
> am not entirely sure if what you are doing is the best way to do it,
> but the set of characters generated in unaccent.rules makes sense
> here.  I am surprised to see that many, TBH.

There are only about 1650 lines in our standard unaccent.rules
file today.  Are we concerned about adding so many more?
I don't think the trie lookup logic would be slowed any,
but the time to load the rules file might take a hit.

            regards, tom lane