Re: libedit broke in head - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: libedit broke in head
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I think the switches are confusing ... when you are using libedit, you
> certainly don't want readline as well, so it seems natural to disable
> it.  I understand that what --without-readline really does is turn the
> line-editing capability off in general rather than just readline, which
> is confusing.

The documentation could be improved perhaps:

$ ./configure --help | grep -i edit     --with-libedit-preferred  prefer BSD Libedit over GNU Readline
--without-readline     do not use GNU Readline / BSD Libedit line editing

$

ISTM the second line would be clearer if it read
 --without-readline      do not use GNU Readline nor BSD Libedit for editing

Also, we probably ought to see if we can make the libedit-preferred line
come out second.