Re: ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN column SERIAL -- unexpected results - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN column SERIAL -- unexpected results
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Rod Taylor" <rbt@barchord.com> writes:
> Running:
>  ALTER TABLE table ADD COLUMN column SERIAL;
>  Defines a column as int4 but does not create the sequence or attempt
> to set the default value.

Yeah ... SERIAL is implemented as a hack in the parsing of CREATE
TABLE, but there's no corresponding hack in ALTER TABLE.  A bug,
no doubt about it, but I don't much like the obvious fix of duplicating
the hack in two places.  Isn't there a cleaner way to deal with this
"data type"?