Re: 'postgres' flag - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 'postgres' flag
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Mike Rogers" <temp6453@hotmail.com> writes:
>     Anyone have a code hack to 7.1 to make postgreSQL break out of the
> 'sameuser' jail if a user as the 'postgres' superuser flag?

The difficulty with that idea is that the connection-matching code has
no idea whether a given userid is superuser or not (indeed, that info
is not available to the postmaster at all).

> Or maybe to set
> config file lines based also on 'superuser' (like 'crypt superuser' or
> something like that).  Otherwise I think I might make one.

Did you read the thread a day or two back in pgsql-admin?  Consider
something like
local    sameuser    passwordlocal    all        password crossauth

where crossauth contains the usernames you want to allow to connect
to databases other than their own.