Query using cursors using 100% CPU - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Glyn Astill
Subject Query using cursors using 100% CPU
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi chaps,

We use a 3rd party driver to connect our some of our old ISAM
applications into postgres (on linux), and as far as I'm aware the
driver uses cursors.

I've noticed that on some of our applications that read a lot of data
the CPU usage for the postmaster serving it rockets up to between 80
and 100%.  If I run multiple instances of the same application then I
get two processes each using 80 -100% effectively pushing the load
average of the server up above 2.

Is there any way I can see what the driver is doing in any more
detail from postgres?

Looking at the activity on the server I just see the select satement.
And doing that select statement on its own and churning the results
into a file like so:

# \o results.txt
# select * from "Events"."SEATS2" where ("SHOW" = 58919 AND "TYPE" =
99 and "BEST" = 3 and "BLOCK" = '3');
# \o

.... the CPU usage only goes up to about 26%

Any ideas? should I be worried?