Re: functions/operators with 2 sets as arguments - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: functions/operators with 2 sets as arguments
Date
List pgsql-general
Jochem van Dieten <jochemd@oli.tudelft.nl> writes:
> While trying to create an operator to test if 2 intervals
> overlap, I ran into the following limitation:

> ERROR:  Functions and operators can take only one set argument
> (PostgreSQL 7.3.2 on OpenBSD)

> Does anybody know any workarounds (or if this limitation has been
> removed from 7.4)?

It's still there, and is unlikely to go away (I think future development
is more likely to go in the direction of deprecating/removing set-valued
functions in SELECT expressions than extending the facility).

Why would interval overlap testing require such a function?  What are
you trying to do, exactly?

Also, have you looked at the SQL OVERLAPS operator?  Your problem might
be solved already, if what you are after corresponds to what the SQL
authors thought would be useful ...

            regards, tom lane