Re: Out of tree build issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Out of tree build issue
Date
List pgsql-general
pedz <pedzsan@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm building on AIX 5.3 but I'm thinking this is on most (all?) platforms.
> I'm doing an out of tree build and got an error with:

> /usr/local/build/postgres-9.0.4/../../src/postgresql-9.0.4/src/backend/utils/cache/relcache.c:57:30: error:
catalog/schemapg.h:No such file or directory

> I think the symbolic link is wrong.  It is currently set to:

> ls -l src/include/catalog/schemapg.h
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     system           62 Jun 12 15:14 src/include/catalog/schemapg.h ->
/usr/local/build/postgres-9.0.4/src/backend/catalog/schemapg.h

> and it probably should be pointing to:

> /usr/local/src/postgresql-9.0.4/src/backend/catalog/schemapg.h

Well, that would depend.  If you were building from a distribution
tarball (which should contain src/backend/catalog/schemapg.h) then
yeah the symlink ought to point at it --- and it does, in my testing.
But if you were building out-of-tree from a bare git pull, then
src/backend/catalog/schemapg.h would be created in the build tree,
and that's where the symlink would point.

I can imagine breaking that logic if you got sufficiently creative
about switching between in-tree and out-of-tree builds and not
reconfiguring the build tree between uses ... but all the ordinary
cases work fine as far as I can tell.

            regards, tom lane