Re: disfavoring unparameterized nested loops - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: disfavoring unparameterized nested loops
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> I've been thinking about this a bit recently and searching for papers
> talking about this, and but it's not clear to me how to calculate the
> risk (and propagate it through the plan) without making the whole cost
> evaluation way more complicated / expensive :-(

Yeah, a truly complete approach using confidence intervals or the
like seems frighteningly complicated.

> But maybe you have thought about some much simpler approach, addressing
> this sufficiently well?

See my nearby response to Peter.  The main case that's distressing me
is the possibility of forcing a hash join even when the outer side
is obviously only one row.  If we could avoid that, at least for
large values of "obvious", I'd be far more comfortable.