Re: \0 and IllegalArgumentException - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: \0 and IllegalArgumentException
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Vadim Nasardinov <vadimn@redhat.com> writes:
> I think you do have a point though when you say that \0 should be
> allowed (and handled properly).

Don't hold your breath.

Moving away from the zero-terminated-string approach would require
protocol changes (IIRC, the v3 protocol still depends on that in places),
a massive rewrite effort to change every datatype's I/O functions, plus
writing our own locale library because we couldn't use strcoll()
anymore.  And that's just the impacts I can think of before having
had any coffee ;-)

While the private locale library might eventually happen anyway, the
other two things are still daunting, mainly because they break a ton of
user code not only the backend.

Basically, the bang for the buck doesn't seem to be there...

            regards, tom lane