Re: sqlstate 22P06 is a warning in an error's clothing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: sqlstate 22P06 is a warning in an error's clothing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@oryx.com> writes:
> The server logs "WARNING: nonstandard use of \\ in a string literal at
> character 44", but the message comes with sqlstate code 22P06, which is
> in an error class ("Data exception"). So my application thinks it's an
> error, and is unhappy.

If you are trying to tell errors from warnings, why are you not looking
first at PQresultStatus (or equivalent in other client APIs)?

I think reassigning the message to another sqlstate will break more
clients than it fixes.  It's not the only problematic case either, eg
           ereport(NOTICE,                   (errcode(ERRCODE_NAME_TOO_LONG),                    errmsg("identifier
\"%s\"will be truncated to \"%.*s\"",                           ident, len, ident)));