Re: php with postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From marcus.boerger@t-online.de (Marcus Börger)
Subject Re: php with postgres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Bruce,

BM> Marcus B?rger wrote:
>> Yeah well it seems i gave a wrong impression what is actually happening now.
>> We don't handle any transaction at the moment but starting with the second
>> call to pg_pconnect on the same db we do RESET ALL. The following log is from
>> a three connections, so you can see two RESET ALL.
>>
>> DEBUG:  BackendStartup: forked pid=28253 socket=8
>> LOG:  query: select getdatabaseencoding()
>> LOG:  query: RESET ALL
>> LOG:  query: RESET ALL
>> LOG:  query: BEGIN;ROLLBACK;
>> LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
>>
>> However it may be very usefull to terminate any open transaction before
>> reusing a persisten connection. Typically this happens when the same script
>> runs again. But anyway using transactions together with persistent conenctions
>> in a multithreaded environment isn't the best thing you could do. So our
>> options are
>> 1) tell the users to do 'auto commit mode'
>> 2) nested transactions
>> 3) locking
>>
>> >From my perspective 2) and 3) are bad ideas for the web environment. In other
>> words i guess we should leave it as is with transaction rollback only when the
>> client terminates (e.g. the webserver stops).

BM> I don't see why you wouldn't just do BEGIN;COMMIT;RESET ALL; when you
BM> pass the connection to a new client.

Bruce you said RESET ALL is available since 7.2. I am currently checking for
the lib version but it would be more correct to check something on the server.
So the question what do i check?

--
Best regards,Marcus                            mailto:marcus.boerger@post.rwth-aachen.de