Re: BUG #5599: Vacuum fails due to index corruption issues - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #5599: Vacuum fails due to index corruption issues
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of jue ago 05 11:06:57 -0400 2010:
>> 1. Write the dirty buffers before dropping them.  Kind of ugly from a
>> performance viewpoint, but simple and safe.

> I think "simple" is good, considering that this code is gone in 9.0 and
> HEAD.  IMHO investing too much effort on this problem is not worth it.

Gone?  Looks like it's still there to me.

> Perhaps it'd be good to come up with a better solution for HEAD:

Yeah, the panic-on-replay aspect is troublesome.  I feel like we need a
rethink here.  But I agree that solution #1 is the only one that feels
safe enough for backpatching.

            regards, tom lane