Re: autovacuum locking question - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: autovacuum locking question
Date
List pgsql-performance
Mike Schanne <mschanne@kns.com> writes:
> The error is not actually showing up very often (I have 8 occurrences from 11/29 and none since then).  So maybe I
shouldnot be concerned about it.  I suspect we have an I/O bottleneck from other logs (i.e. long checkpoint sync
times),so this error may be a symptom rather than the cause.

Well, it's also an inherently non-repeating problem: once some iteration
of autovacuum has managed to truncate away the large amount of trailing
dead space that the file presumably had, later runs won't need to do
that.

Of course, if you have a usage pattern that repeatedly bloats the table
with lots of stuff-to-be-vacuumed, the issue could recur that way.

            regards, tom lane