Re: WIP: Pg_upgrade - page layout converter (PLC) hook - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: WIP: Pg_upgrade - page layout converter (PLC) hook
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>> I attached patch which implemented page layout converter (PLC) hook. It
>> is base stone for in-place upgrade.

> I agree it's an important piece of the puzzle, but not the most
> complicated one by far.

In fact, it's not even worth thinking about at this stage, because you
couldn't meaningfully use or test it before you have dealt with catalog
update issues.

Even more to the point, we already had consensus that we would try to
avoid page-level changes once we had a working migration solution,
so it's not clear that there will ever be a big need for page layout
conversion.

I think this patch is a complete waste of effort at this stage, and
should not be considered for application until we have a context in
which we could meaningfully test it.