Re: Time limit for a process to hold Content lock in Buffer Cache - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Time limit for a process to hold Content lock in Buffer Cache
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Atri Sharma <atri.jiit@gmail.com> writes:
> I am not sure, but does statement_timeout depend on *what* the query
> is doing internally(i.e. if it is holding lots of locks,pins etc)?

A little bit --- the timeout won't actually kill the query until the
next time control reaches a CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS macro that's not inside
a critical section.  We've had issues in the past with particular code
paths that failed to include such a check in a long-running loop, and
there might still be some left.  But by and large, it won't take very
long for the query to notice the interrupt.