Re: info about patch: using parametrised query in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: info about patch: using parametrised query in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2009/12/25 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
>> I think maybe what we need here is a piece of syntax to indicate that a
>> specific parameter should be substituted after first being passed
>> through PQescapeStringConn.
>
> I agree that a global flag that changes the behavior of :foo is a
> seriously bad idea.  Alternate syntax would be much better, but how
> exactly can we shoehorn that in?  Maybe something like
>        :!foo

there are two quoting styles, so we need two syntax. I proposed

:[var] and :{var} - for ident quoting and literal quoting.
Theoretically we could to use :(var) for bytea escaping. :!foo isn't
good idea. It is related to negation operator. Bracket or parenthesis
are good readable and far to some custom pg operators.

Regards
Pavel Stehule