Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2009/9/10 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
> Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> writes:
>> 2009/9/10 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
>>> 1. Allow the existing "any" pseudotype as an input argument type for PLs.
>>> (AFAICS this is simple and painless; about the only question is whether
>>> we want to keep using the name "any", which because of conflicting with
>>> a reserved word would always need the double quotes.)
>
>> I thing so this is possible - I see only one critical point - you
>> cannot validate source in validation time.
>
> How's it any different from anyelement?

true, if I remember well, there is substitution from anyelement to int?

maybe from this perspective can be good to separate polymorphic types
to some kinds:

any - really unknown type - there is possible only check on null or
not null (and maybe some basic operations).
anytext - any value (substituted to text) in validation time
anynumeric - any value (substitued to integer) in validation time.

regards
Pavel Stehule