Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2009/9/9 David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com>:
> On Sep 9, 2009, at 10:17 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Well, none, *if* it's defined to have exactly the same runtime behavior
>> as anyelement does.  It sounded like you were arguing for something
>> looser.  We could certainly define it as being just like anyelement
>> but not constrained to match any other argument or result (and, hence,
>> not usable as a result type).
>
> Yes, that sounds about right. Is that not basically what Alvaro was looking
> for to start with? And is there an "any" array that could work for variadic
> functions like sprintf(), as well?

no - because PostgreSQL doesn't support multitype array. So VARIADIC
"any" isn't transformed to array and arguments are accessable via
FunctionCallInfo structure. I thing, so this functionality is out of
plpgsql or sql language, but when we are able to transform
FunctionCallInfo to some perl or python structures, this can be
accessed from plperl or plpythonu.

Regards
Pavel Stehule