Re: GRANT ON ALL IN schema - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: GRANT ON ALL IN schema
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2009/8/10 Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>>> One fairly simple way would use a new SQL verb (say, DO) like this:
>>
>>> DO $$ something in plfoo $$ LANGUAGE plfoo;
>>
>> Yeah, this has been suggested before.  I can't see anything very wrong
>> with it.
>>
>>> We could even default the langauge to plpgsql, for which you would then
>>> just need:
>>
>>> DO $$ something in plpgsql $$;
>>
>> Add a GUC variable to set the default language, perhaps?
>>
>>> But to make it really nice you'd have to move away from pl programs as
>>> strings. That would be a lot more work, and you really wouldn't want to
>>> make it work with more than one PL for the sake of everyone's sanity.
>>
>> That would be an awful lot of messiness to save four keystrokes...
>
> I think it would be awfully handy to integrate some of the features of
> PL/pgsql into core SQL - especially variables, and also things like IF
> and FOR...  but I'm not expecting it to happen any time soon, or maybe
> ever.

SQL/PSM is better. This language is developed to integration to SQL.
It allows one statement procedures. So

IF .. THEN ELSE END IF; isn't correct code for PL/pgSQL and it is
correct for SQL/PSM.

so
FOR r AS SELECT * FROM information_schema.tables
DO GRANT .... ON r.table_name TO ...;
END FOR;

sql/psm doesn't need DECLARE, BEGIN and END in this case;

http://www.postgres.cz/index.php/SQL/PSM_Manual

regards
Pavel Stehule