Re: GRANT ON ALL IN schema - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: GRANT ON ALL IN schema
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2009/8/5 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
>> I have one database that is set up with a reporting user (read only on
>> everything).  It requires constant maintenance.  Every time an object
>> is added or deleted (or dropped and recreated, like a view, which I do
>> ALL THE TIME to work around the inability to add/remove columns) the
>> permissions get shot to hell.  I finally crontabbed a script that
>> fixes it every 20 minutes.  I had another database where I tried to do
>> some real permission separation and it was just a huge pain in the
>> ass.
>
>> Grant on all isn't gonna fix these problems completely, but it's a
>> start.  The DefaultACL stuff is another important step in the right
>> direction.
>
> Seems like default ACLs, not grant-on-all, is what you want for that.
>
> The idea of better support for plpgsql-driven granting isn't going
> to compete with default ACLs, but it does compete with grant-on-all.
> So that's why I'm thinking we ought to take a harder look at that
> before adding nonstandard extensions to GRANT.
>
> Josh's position that "this should be standard SQL" is nonsense, or
> at least he ought to be making that argument to the standards committee
> not us.  It *isn't* standard, and therefore it's up to us to decide how
> we want to expose the facility.  What's more, syntax extensions to GRANT
> are a pretty risky way to do it: what if the SQL committee sees the
> light and SQL:201x includes a GRANT extension, only it conflicts with
> ours?
>
> If we want something built-in, maybe providing some prefab plpgsql
> functions is the way to go.  But we'd have to arrive at a consensus
> on what best practice of that form looks like.

There are some people, that dislike stored procedures :(. Probably lot
of MySQL users. For them are procedures devil still. I would to like
some base maintenance library in plpgsql. But it's need plpgsql
installed in core by default.

Pavel