Re: Function does not exist - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Function does not exist
Date
List pgsql-general
2009/7/16 Andreas Wenk <a.wenk@netzmeister-st-pauli.de>:
> Pavel Stehule schrieb:
>>
>> 2009/7/16 dipesh mistry (Imap) <dipesh.mistry@mobilefundas.com>:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> In my function i had defined addnewuser(integer,character,......), and i
>>> call this function by Java code.
>>>
>>> I had created function with integer datatype but database always gives me
>>> error,
>>> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: function
>>> addnewuser(bigint,character varying,....) does not exist
>>>
>>> Why database gives me bigint error instead i had declare integer in
>>> function.
>>>
>>> Next i create one more function named adduser(bigint,character,....).
>>> but then it gives me same error.
>>
>> are all others parameters really varchar? You can use explicit cast to
>> varchar like
>>
>> SELECT addnewuser(19, 'bbbb'::varchar, 'aaaaa'::varchar, ....
>
> Pavel,
>
> just a question. Why should it be necessary to add explicit typcasting here?
> I can't see the problem in more depth. I still think that the function is
> called with the wrong parameter. Would be cool to hear your points to
> understand the problem better ;-)

ofcourse - explicit casting is hard method, and it's better don't use
it. But some times java environments are too smart. Explicit cast
should help with searching an problematic param.

Pavel